What an exceptional journey it
has been. 32 days, 64 matches and 171 goals later, the Germans are leaping for
joy as they raise the 18-carat golden trophy. This event has truly made my 5-week
semester break enjoyable and kept me entertained, which I will treasure until
the next tournament in Russia in four years’ time.
This tournament has also
witnessed some quite awe-inspiring stories, from those underdog stories to Luis
Suarez’s inhumane bite, Arjen Robben’s amazing performances that helped the
Oranje reach the semi-finals to Germany’s total annihilation of Brazil.
All in all, I think all the teams
that participated in this event have done an exceptional job and should be
proud of themselves despite the losses they’ve experienced. Just like in Louis
Van Gaal’s opinion, losing is just as important as winning. It’s what binds a
team together, their spirit, everything.
And of course, it would be silly
of me if I didn’t mention the team I was rooting for. Although I’m not a Dutch
nor do I live in Holland, but the one thing I enjoyed the most was supporting
the Netherlands. Finishing in the third place is a great way for the Dutch to
end their campaign and I wish them all good health in the future so that I’ll be
able to see them all fit and in good shape in Russia in 2018.
So, in honour of my favourite
team, let’s take a walk down memory lane and relive some of their best moments.
- Their opening match thumped World Cup holders Spain 5-1 in Arena Fonte Nova, Salvador.
- Five days later, they crushed the Australians 2-3 in Estadio Beira-Rio, which enabled them to determine a place in the Round 16.
- Nearly a week later in Estadio Castelao Forteleza, they once again defeated Chile 2-1, which sent them off to play in the Round 16…
- …to play against Mexico. The Dutch cheered as two goals during the final minute qualified them through to the quarter-finals and left many crying Mexicans in Estadio Castelao Fortaleza.
- On the 5th day of July, the Oranje played against Costa Rica in Arena Fonte Nova, Salvador, in which the famous Tim Krul replaced Jasper Cillessen and was able to win the Netherlands to a 4-3 victory over Costa Rica on penalties, which sent them through to the semi-finals.
- Four days later, they were beaten (not literally) in Arena de Sao Paulo by the Argentines on penalties (2-4).
- Then, the Oranje secured third place in Estadio Nacional, Brasilia as they crushed the host country, Brazil with a 3-0 victory.
TRULY EXCEPTIONAL.
No comments:
Post a Comment